Sunday, 4 November 2012

Handbag done, and more dyeing

Progress at last! I’ve finished my bag and shown it at the challenge unveiling. You can read about that and see all the challenge works on the challenge blog here.
So here it is, in all its glory.  

I’m really happy with how it worked out.

I’ve also been having fun with putting colour onto cloth and yarn, with various methods.

First, I’ve done some more natural dyeing. This white 2-ply wool yarn skein was rolled around two tongue depressors, which were folded back on themselves and tied at each end, not on the yarn. The wool was soaked in water before adding to the wattle dye pot.
The same white 2-ply wool yarn was plaited onto two tongue depressors, which were folded together and tied at each end, without tying the yarn. The yarn was soaked before dyeing in Eucalyptus cinerea.
The same white 2-ply wool yarn was twisted around a single tongue depressor and dipped into a bath made from sawdust from David’s workshop. I put about two cups of the mixed sawdust into a calico bag and poured over hot water. This sawdust is mostly from Samoan hardwood, with some Blackbutt mixed in. The dye bath almost immediately went very dark brown. I left it to steep for a couple of days. Then the wool was added and the mixture was boiled for an hour.
I also dyed some silk scarves. This white silk PFD scarf was concertina’d and ironed lengthwise into quarters. This was folded as a concertina to match a large diamond block and smaller diamond blocks were clamped on, so there was an area of fabric around the block. The scarf was soaked in water before dyeing in the E. cinerea pot.
A wool etamine length had seven rows of small wooden beads tied into each end in an offset pattern to yield diamond-patterned dots. The cloth was soaked in water before dyeing in the E. cinerea pot. The beads tend to lose a little colour with boiling, which transfers to the cloth.

This scarf was folded in half and clamped at each end with L-shaped blocks. It was dyed in a wattle flower dye bath.  
It was fairly ordinary so I blocked it again with triangle blocks and dyed in with dark blue Drimarene K dye.
I’m really enjoying the Drimarene K dyeing. This silk yarn was laid down on Gladwrap and dyed with a syringe, with rubinole, turquoise, blue and black.
This is a loosely woven silk yarn from Virginia Farm Woolworks. I syringe-dyed this damp, using red, orange and yellow.
 I tried out a different Shibori technique with this piece of cotton cloth. This long strip of quilter’s muslin was folded in 60-degree triangles. Two corners were dipped into rubinole and turquoise, with the tips dipped in black.

I can see a scarf using this technique in my future!
This silk scarf was concertina’d into four, lengthwise, and syringe-dyed blue, rubinole and turquoise.
These four fat quarters of cotton cloth were layer-dyed in a cup, by adding a little dye and poking cloth down onto it with a chopstick. The first dye was blue, then yellow, then orange, then red, then yellow again.


I’ve also been space dyeing some cotton socks. I am so in love with these!

This silk scarf isn’t finished yet. I tied it in Kanoko with large beads, which were painted with yellow dye. I had drips and bleeds, so I capped the beads with plastic and rubber bands and painted the whole scarf in yellow and orange. The orange also bled into the bead area, so, after batching, I washed the scarf out and dried it with the beads still in place. I replaced the rubber bands with another set of ties over the plastic. I plan to redye it darker, as it’s much brighter than I would use, and I hope the double tying and the plastic capping will protect the colour over the beads. We’ll see….

Next, taking colour out of cloth. Even more fun, I think.