Sunday, 25 January 2009

Dimensional paint rubbing plates

I haven't been entirely idle during the heatwave. I saw this neat tutorial by Terri Stegmiller on making your own rubbing plates using dimensional paint over at FibreandStitch and thought I'd have a play. After several attempts I made these plates: Let me tell you, it was not an easy task making something worth keeping! I'm very happy I was using really cheap dimensional paint, because I wiped away a whole lot of attempts before I made something I might actually want to print on fabric! It's really hard to maintain a steady pressure on the dimensional paint bottle and draw with a steady hand as well.

Then I left them to dry. My friends will tell you that I have a short attention span and I really like stuff that happens right now. By now, I was already over the whole business but then I found them in the back bathroom a few days later, all nice and dry, and I was ready to try them out. I generally use my rubbing plates as stamps, by rolling on paint with a brayer, so that's what I did.

I have to say I am pretty disappointed with the results, given the amount of effort I put into it! These are the best of my prints: I deliberately chose a brown colour because I had a kind of Kente cloth in my mind from the designs. But I found it was really hard to get paint to stick to the dimensional paint, it really wanted to slide off into the hollows in between. I had not imagined this happening! I can see they might work out quite well as rubbing plates, especially if you are using them with paper, or soft media like fabric crayons, and I promise I will play around with them that way one of these hot days. But compared to the string stamps I made, which are messy but in a fun way, the process just doesn't thrill me and the results just didn't justify the effort. There probably is an easier way...

3 comments:

StegArt said...

I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed with your rubbing plate results. Have you tried using them the way it talks about in the tutorial, not as a stamp? I really like the designs you made.

Nola said...

Sorry, Terri, I wasn't having a go at you about the technique! More about my inabilty to make nice patterns. And yes, I will have a try using it as it was meant to be used. I am just having a stamping phase right now, so stamping leapt to mind as a way to use them.

Lindi said...

I imagine PVA glue would work as well. It would flow out of the bottle better than dimensional paint, although you would have a thicker line.