Friday, 13 December 2013

It's Christmas!

Well, it must be because I'm posting here!  It's been a few months. It's not as if I haven't been creating things during that time, but I got a bit tied up with the other things I contribute to - the Fibrecircle blog, the SCQuilters blog, the ATASDA NSW blog FibreTribe and the ATASDA web page. So my own blog has fallen behind. I think I need to manage my time a little better!

OK, so what have I been doing? I've dyed stuff - scarves, socks, aprons, quilters' muslin, kids' tees - with fibre reactive dyes. I've eco-dyed some stuff, with the usual surprising results. I've used discharge paste.

This scarf was painted and dyed over several sessions, to build up the colour.
 

This one was dyed dark and discharged. As usual, the results were unexpected.  It's very Goth - kind of Midnight Roses - with a lot of pattern and texture.


Brush Box bark, Ironbark leaves and Eucalyptus cinerea leaves went into the making of this one.
 
 
Here's a detail shot of it. Luscious colour that doesn't seem to be typical of my eco-dyeing.

And this one was also eco-dyed, in Ironbark bark. It's picked up this gorgeous subtle colouring, including the crackle pattern.
And here's the detail shot...

There have been others but I don't want to bore you. Some have sold and some, I suspect, only a mother could love, which is where over-dyeing and discharging can work their magic. Sometimes, the least promising ones at the beginning turn out astounding by the end.
 
I'm in the process of setting up an Etsy shop, so I hope to have some stuff listed for sale soon. I'll add the link here, when I do, just in case someone actually wants to buy something! But really, when it comes down to it, I guess I'm doing all this for the fun of it.

Happy Christmas and see you in the New Year!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very interesting results! The ever-so-slightly Goth colourway reminds me of a very old colour - "Ashes of Roses", it was called.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nola, I do love your experimental scarves, especially No.1 on your blog.
Merry Christmas, Pamela P