Saturday, 29 March 2008

Scatterdays


After a little break when the Real World impinged, I'm back to playing Scatterdays. Of course, this week the letter is X, but we were mercifully excused from categories.

I know everyone will have the obvious Xylophone, but there are not enough X words in the world to be exclusive. So here is an extremely elderly xylophone, which has excited many children over the past thirty years.

Of course I could have shared my x-rays, but instead I extol the xylosma. This beautiful plant exists happily in a difficult spot in my garden that is both shady, and hot and dry, depending on the season and time of day. It provides shelter for more exotic examples, without expecting exceptional treatment, and expands exponentially until it is abruptly excised. which is accepts with equanimity. It has tiny white spring flowers but is exalted for its pretty new growth, pink on lime green. Isn't it exquisite?

Finally, in extremis, we have Xenocide, part three in the Ender Saga, which begins with Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, by Orson Scott Card. He is among my favourite fantasy/sci-fi authors adnd his books often raise interesting ethical questions.

2 comments:

Pennie & David said...

Welcome back to the land of Scatterday's Nola! Excellent choice of X's but have to say I've only ever heard of the first one. I like the look of the xylosma but will pass on the Xenocide thanks, although it's probably right up my DSIL's reading.
P.S. My Word Verification is... xdxqduqo how spooky is that!

Lindi said...

Oh, I'm so glad you are back. I always enjoyed your Scatterdays.
Good Xs, btw!