Monday, 18 October 2010

Going all girly

Last Saturday was Kambra Challenge day. I've mentioned this annual challenge here previously. We've been challenging each other for more than a decade now, and the results are always fascinating and unexpected.

I couldn't make the unveiling this year, which was a shame, because I really wanted to see what the others did with our challenge fabrics! They were eight dyed fat eighths from Lisa Walton at Dyed and Gone to Heaven:
Challenging fabrics, aren't they? They're so very... what's the word I want? Oh yes... pink.The challenge, from Donna, was to use these fabrics, plus a single print fabric. The group reactions were predictable - I don't think we've reacted with enthusiasm to any challenge yet! The problem was to avoid something really cloying.

However, the one group in the world that really loves pink is small girls, and I just happen to have one of those in my family. Granddaughter Kate is rarely seen without some pink about her person, so she seemed the logical person to receive my pink project. I wanted to make her something she would use, but I just didn't love the fabrics enough to make her a quilt. So a small project was needed.

It was quite hard to find a fabric that worked well with the pinks but wasn't too sickly. I didn't find any commercial fabrics I liked, so I decided to paint and print my own. I used Setacolor paints and an Indian woodblock.


And here's my project - one side:
...and the other:
 


Kinda cute, isn't it? I'm pretty sure she's going to love it.
 
If you want to see the other Kambra challenge works, they're over here on the Kambra Challenge blog.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well done.....a great way to use up so much pink.

kaite said...

a fabulous result, bright and happy. k.

Munaiba said...

I know you don't like pink but I think you did a great job and I'm sure your granddaughter will love it.