Saturday, 22 December 2007

Scatterdays begins with an S...

.. and that's appropriate because I just scraped in!

My first Scatterday is Medical and it's that most useful of gadgets, a sphygmometer, or more correctly, a sphygmomanometer. Sphygmo, from the Greek sphugmos, pulse, and manometer, a pressure gauge, from the Greek manos, thin and metron, measure. So you won't be surprised to know it's a device for measuring blood pressure! (Medical types have literal minds, it seems.)I'm relieved to tell you that the stress of Christmas hasn't caused my blood pressure to soar, or anything serious like that! I don't quite know why we own one of these things, but we do.

My second Scatterday is a beverage, Sabra. This is my favourite liqueur of all, and possibly even surpasses my love of schnapps (none of your fancy flavoured rubbish, the real deal!). I don't have a bottle of schnapps in my cupboard at present (sounds like a reason to buy one!) but I do have this bottle of Sabra. It's an Israeli liqueur, which tastes like alcoholic Jaffas. (For those not lucky enough to live in Oz, Jaffas are round orange-coated chocolate sweets. They are delicious but they are also famous for being rolled down the aisles in picture theatres when I was but a young thing, making a significant clatter. It was always a hard decision whether to eat or roll.) This is quite an elderly bottle of Sabra, and I'm not sure you can even buy it in Australia these days, certainly not in mainstream grog shops.

Then, we have Christmas. Now it would have been so easy to photograph one of the several seasonal Santas that have stirred from their annual sleep, but instead I've selected a Star. This star has graced my Christmas tree since 1981, and was bought from an early precursor of the Oxfam shop, somewhere down in the inner city. It was constructed in India and the miserable smidgen I paid bought someone something, way back when. If you look closely, you can see one of the Santas below it (he's banging his own drum, I think) and over to the left, a snowman, who for some reason is carrying a shiny parcel. He dates from 1984, from a set that included a downhill-skiing Santa, some soldiers and a sitting-down snowman. Sadly, they are somewhere out of shot, but certainly present. David the chief tree dresser insists that every decoration must be included. Since I buy at least one each year, this number is not inconsiderable. One day, the tree will fall to dust beneath their weight.

Finally, as an extra, I bring you Stones, given to me by my god-daughter several years ago. And with them, I wish everyone a very happy Christmas, and a peaceful, safe and satisfying New Year!

4 comments:

Liz Needle said...

Nola, not only do we get your clever photos, but so much interesting information to go with them I do like reading your blog

Lindsay said...

Love all the photos. Merry Christmas!

Lindi said...

Glad you got to do photos this week. I've liked your scatterdays from the beginning. Interesting, clever and entertaining.

Michelle Watters said...

I came looking for Y and found S. You did very well. Looking forward to your Y section.