Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Getting out of hand

One of the things I've been doing, when I'm not playing, has been planning for works I'm making for an exhibition later this year.

OK, first the exhibition. It's with a group from ATASDA called Untethered, which has formed specifically to exhibit together. The difference about this group is that we formed to work collegiately (for want of a better word). I can't say collaboratively because that generally means people working on the same work; this is working together on our individual pieces, talking about our ideas, supporting each other, critiquing ideas, having exhibition visits together. It's a different kind of exhibition group.

The theme of the first exhibition is out of hand. The exhibition will be held at Wallarobba Arts and Cultural Centre, Edgeworth David Ave, Hornsby, 9th November - 15th November 2015. I'm sure you'll hear more about this in due course!

I don't usually post about my process, because most of the time it's just thinking. But maybe other people find my process as interesting as I find other people's process? Doubtful. If you get bored, just move on!

For my out of hand, I decided to work with the concept of wanton. I want to say something about the way we label people, and how sometimes the labels become the only way to think about that person. That was most visibly true in the past when women could be labelled as social outcasts, often through no fault of their own. For example, the young women sent to the Newcastle Industrial School in the 1870s were stigmatised, even though they may have been sent there for reasons beyond their control, like poverty or sexual assault. For more information about the Newcastle Industrial School, go to their very illuminating website.

I'll post more about my out of hand thinking, in between the play days and other stuff.

No comments: