Saturday, 17 November 2007

Scatterday H

Happy Scatterday! Today's letter is H and the categories were Human, Toys and Soft.

Here we have some of my favourite humans, a happy Jeremy playing hobblijig with his grandpa. It hardly seems any time at all since we were playing hobblijig with his father! There is a family rhyme that goes:
Mummy's horse goes jig jig jig (jiggle child a little)
Daddy's horse goes trot trot trot (jiggle child violently)
But old farmer Hobblijog's horse goes.... (expectant pause)
Hobblijig! (Allow child to fall between your legs, holding firmly despite shrieks of laughter)
Child says "Again!"
I'm told this is a translation of a German version of the rhyme, which makes sense since David's forebears were German.

A toy helicopter inhabits our toybox, along with many friends who drive tractors, mend the roads,and put on circus shows for the many children. Today, the pilot is taking a holiday from his truck-driving duties because he wears a hardhat and has such a lovely handlebar moustache, in honour of Movember. (If you know anyone growing a Mo for Movemeber, to raise money for and increase awareness of men's health issues, sponsor them!)

I was stumped for soft things until I realised I am surrounded by soft hand-made goodies. So here we have hand knits, hand embroidery (Kas made me the beautiful cushion) and a reminder to hang onto Hope.

13 comments:

Fran said...

Great rhyme, I must remember it.

rooruu said...

Snap! - handwork and hope. And games like that are such fun - that moment of waiting....

Michelle Watters said...

I am liking all the choices. Amazing how many toys people have kept.

Pennie & David said...

Oh MY... hasn't Jeremy grown into a big boy! Grandad and Boy do indeed look very happy, I'll have to jot the rhyme down for Jack and Charlie I love that sort of play. Never thought of Helicopter even though we have several Lego ones made up and ready!!
I'd better rush upstairs and put name tags on my bears before you come over hadn't I - I know you will remember which is which!!

Lindi said...

I love the rhyme. Must remember it for when I have grandchildren.

Kate said...

We used to play a variation of that rhyme. The waitinig was always fabulous.

As always, original choices, Pennie.

Kate said...

Sorry Nola for wrong name. It's late; I'm hopeless.

Liz Needle said...

A plethora of Hs, Nola. Original choices as usual.

Christina said...

Great choices well done
christina

Dy said...

I love that rhyme... can just imagine the child's gleeful anticipation for the Hobblijig part. :-)

Dianne said...

Hey Nola very cute rhyme, I'm loving these pics, I see you have a few new follwers,thats great. You'll inspire them all. You always make me smile

Sharon said...

We have a slightly different version here in the UK -
This is the way that ladies ride.....
This is the way that gentlemen ride.....
And this is the way that farmers ride.....
I remember my grandmother doing the actions with us as children.

Nola said...

Yes, I know the English have a slightly different version of the rhyme. I guess there has been so much to-ing and fro-ing across the Channel, historically, that it's travelled (one direction or the other!) I remember reading the English one in a book to my kids and them saying, "No, Mummy, it's wrong, it goes like this..."