Sunday, 1 July 2007

An experiment in layers


Before the Walls of Rome 8inx 10in
This weekend, I finished a challenge for Design Bytes Down Under that I've been playing around with for a few weeks. It's called Before the Walls of Rome and it's based on photos we took of the ancient walls surrounding Rome. It always intrigues me that so much history has taken place there. Enemies have camped before the walls of Rome from the late Roman Republic right through until gunpowder made city walls redundant. The images of the walls taken from various stages of Roman history are superimposed over each other, with traces of the past showing through. I wanted to work with sheers, and see how I could suggest shapes while playing with the layers. I'm not 100% happy with it but it's an idea I think I'll want to revisit.

2 comments:

Laurel-li said...

Hee! This is awesome! I love it! ^-^

Tonniece said...

This is great Nola. Love the color too. Layering sheers sounds yummy. Can't wait to see it if you decide to go that way.