Monday, 7 May 2007

The price of creativity

My daughter posted a comment on her blog from Jeanette Winterson about the price of creativity. It reminded me of comments by Rainer Maria Rilke,in his Letters on Cezanne.

He wrote, "Surely all art is the result of one's having been in danger, of having gone through an experience all the way to the end, where no-one can go any further. The further one goes, the more private, the more personal, the more singular an experience becomes, and the thing one is making is, finally, the necessary, irrepressible and, as nearly as possible, definitive utterance of this singularity."

He also quotes Cezanne's last letter, Oct 21, 1906:
"I believe the best thing is work. I continue my studies."

How fantastic to be working at creation right to the end! (He died on October 22nd.)

No comments: