Wednesday, 30 May 2007

Slow week

This week I've fallen into a slump. Partly physical, partly a lack of time, and partly reaching the moment of frustration that I usually reach at some point, when I really don't like what I've done so far and wonder if it will ever be worth finishing. I'll press on, because I know I usually end up liking what I've done at the end, but it's frustrating.

OK, this is what I did on the weekend:


Cute, aren't they? The big one is my baby, the little one is grandchild number 1, administering a very sloppy kiss. It was great to visit them and see how the grandkids have grown in the short time since I last saw them.

And this is what I did this week on Rites of Passage - coming along nicely:


I've made the colours very intense and rich, so it's recognisable as a Polynesian island scene but also looks a little bit strange and unrealistic. Well, that's the plan....

And this is the postcard I'm making for the Sailing to Byzantium challenge on Design Bytes Down Under.

Postcard 6in x 4in

It's a motif on a pier in the church of St Polyeuktos from ancient Byzantium. I looked at lots of photos of Byzantine art, and decided the things I liked best were the architectural motifs. I played around with a lot of different motifs, and finally decided on this one. This is the line drawing printed onto soluble paper and stitched with dark navy thread. Tomorrow, I'll show you what it looks like with the paper removed (right now it's still wet so the colours are deeper than normal). I still have a few things to do tomorrow. The motif is stitched onto two layers of fabric, backed with Timtex for stiffening. The bottom layer is silk, the upper layer a synthetic fabric, in colours that reminded me of Byzantine icons. Tomorrow, I plan to burn back the synthetic a little with a soldering iron, to give the distressed look that the icons have from so much fervent handling during 1000-1500 years of worship. Hopefully, the underlying silk will show through. I want to brush on some gold highlights too. Hurry, hurry, it's due the end of the month!

3 comments:

Tonniece said...

Besides your good looking works of art, you have a good looking son and grandchild too. I just love those sloppy kisses.

aykayem said...

LOL - my Dad taught that "kiss" to all the kids in our family - he called it a "Slidey" - the kids thought it was funny, but the adults were not impressed ...
btw - no little kids in this house, but the dog gives us plenty of sloppy kisses ;-)
Andrea
(yes - the weird one who stays up too late and is disorganised)

Dianne said...

What a sweet poto of your sweetys.
I see you work better with dead lines LOL. Beautiful motif I too love old architectur on churches.
I couldn't pass a church in the uk without getting nsome pics.
The Right of Passage is just turning ou stunning.. You are a fantastic artist...