Friday, 1 June 2007

First Quilt


Road to Broken Hill 41in x 52in (est) 1996
Caity challenged us on Southern Cross Quilters to show a photo of our first quilts. This was the first quilt I ever made, and it was because of a challenge from Erica to her workmates at the library. Several of us did a mystery quilt from Lady's Circle Patchwork magazine, which turned out to be this Road to Oklahoma block. When I finished mine, I donated it to a youth charity called The Shack that I was supporting at the time. I called it Road to Broken Hill, because I arranged the colours so they moved from green (the coastal areas) through to pinky-brown, the characteristic soil colour of the desert country where I grew up. We made over $1000 for The Shack, so I felt very pleased with myself!

8 comments:

Lindi said...

I like it! I can see why you got hooked!
I like your recent works, too. The Byzantium postcard looks as if it would have been extremely interesting to do, but I particularly like "Like Honey from the Rock".

Tonniece said...

Great quilt, Gosh, you and Carol just go, go, go, and do such beautiful works of art. Can I borrow some of your energy?

TFS Nola

rooruu said...

Wow - you started a lot more posh and clever than I did - AND raised all that dosh for the Shack. Well done you! (now where did I borrow that expression from?).

I chuckled at its name - I've done a Road and said, phooey to Oklahoma or Philadelphia or wherever! Mine was a Road to the Mountains - it may sound generic, but as you know, it's a local reference.

Caitlin said...

Yes - Well done, YOU!
What a lovely quilt - and good on yer for raising money with it - very brave for you to do that with your FIRST quilt!

Dianne said...

It is a great quilt for your first one shesh.. I reall like hoe th color chages very cool.

Dianne said...

I can't believe that's your first quilt - wow - it looks fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

Great looking quilt Nola - but you should edit the post to tell us what year you made it (and maybe how long it took??!!!) ;-)

Sue

Nola said...

You're right, I should caption it properly. That means going back into The Records! I keep pretty copious notes of what I do, so I may be gone some time...