Monday, 11 June 2007

On to the next thing

I still have a little housekeeping to do but I'm ready to start another project. The Design Bytes Down Under challenge for this month is Urban Environment. I had great plans to take my camera for a walk, as I haven't done that for a while, but time is passing and I will lose part of the last week of the month to the Craft and Quilt Fair at Darling Harbour. So I decided to work from existing photos. My initial notes for this theme focused on boundaries, borders, where things meet other things in the urban landscape. I found these great photos we took in Rome, of the ancient city walls. I love the massiveness of them, but also that, as in many modern cities, these walls are now in the middle of the city, as the boundaries have changed and the value of such defences has vanished.

I want to make a piece based on these images, with overlapping and partly transparent shapes. Well, that's my plan....

3 comments:

Tonniece said...

And what a great plan. Seems like a lot of wk. but if anyone can do it, it's you.
Great pics

mereth said...

Your work is incredible, there's such a feeling of depth in Rites of Passage, and the binding just looks like the shadow from the arch to me. Amazing job, and I bet the roman walls will be just as good. I hope Keryn and I will get to see you in Sydney too, looking forward to it!

larin said...

You're it!

Here's the deal: When you are "tagged" please give 7 random facts about your self on your blog.
Please write things that are a habit, unusual, or that no-one else knows, as well as the rules of the game.
You then need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog.
Please leave a post on the blogs of those you tag so they know that they have been tagged and to read your blog...and tag 7 more and so on.
No worries. No pressure. No time constraints - just enjoy

--LaRinda