Wednesday, 3 October 2007

Arts of Islam

Mags asked me to share a couple of my sketchbook pages and I finally got around to scanning them. They aren't anything special as far as artwork goes - I was more interested in getting down the ideas and relationships. I knew I'd be buying the catalogue, but I'm sure I'm not the only one to have been caught out by catalogues that bear little resemblance to the artefacts you just studied! This one was brilliant, full of beautiful clear photos of the exhibition pieces, but obviously, the detail of the motifs is hard to puzzle out if you haven't made sketches.

As you can see, these are mostly simple motifs, from various media, that I thought would be interesting repeated in stitch or stamped or appliqued on textile work.

And these are more of the same. Several of these are from woodwork, rather than painted pieces. I felt I had way too short a time at the exhibition - there was so much to see! But there's plenty of ideas here and among my other sketches, for me to explore.

No comments: