Monday, 30 April 2007

Forest


I also finished this piece today. (Isn't end of the month great?) I called it, somewhat unimaginatively, Bush Road, and it's the first of several postcard-sized pieces I want to make using the image of the old coach road at Mt York that I shared earlier.

I scanned the photo and played around with it in Corel PhotoPaint. I actually printed out three images based on this scene, so I haven't finished with it yet! This size allows me to try different approaches without investing too much time and thread (though it always takes me way longer to thread paint than I expect!).

It's stitched with free motion straight and zigzag stitching, with the colours built up from dark to light. Sometimes I use two different top threads to blend colours, but this piece is so small, I mostly used single threads and overlaid the various stitching to blend. I use the print colours as a value indication but often I use very different hues to the original images. The trick is not to lay down too much thread in an area you plan to blend, or the needle won't pierce the thickness.

I am so happy with how this one worked out! It really feels like the Australian bush to me.

5 comments:

Tonniece said...

Good lord woman, you have been so busy. Another great piece.
TFS

MargaretR said...

This is my very first visit to your blog Nola and I have put it in my Bloglines to make sure I visit each time you upadate it. lovely work. That Bush Road reminds me so much of a little road Toni took us to in 2000. I can remember distinctly seeing an Orchid on one of the trees. To me that was such a wonderous thing.

Nola said...

So glad you like it! The image Bush Road was based on is a shot of the original coach road that crossed the Blue Mountains. The mountains were a real obstacle to white settlement in Australia, because the escarpment is steep and full of deep valleys, and it took them a long time to find a way across. The term "road" is a bit of a misnomer; it needs to be called "a track" or even "a coach-wide gap in the trees"!

Dianne said...

This is great!! Love the image and how you've enhanced with stitching.

Dianne said...

This is just beautiful, you are just too talented girly. Love it...
Amazing really..