Thursday, 19 April 2007

I do finish stuff, honest!

Just in case you think I never actually finish anything, here's a photo of a piece I made last year for a textile book round robin. The theme was "Above, the Vaulted Sky" from the poem by John Clare.

After a few sidetracks, I finally made Palolo Sunrise, based on photographs my husband took at Salamumu in Western Samoa in November 1983, the day of the palolo rising. Once a year, as the sun rises, the coral worms rise from the reef to mate and the locals are ready, with their mosquito net scoops, to catch them to eat as a delicacy. The sky was a luminous gold and apricot; the land a study in greys and greens, and the reef black with tiny figures. My inspiration came from the photos David took that day. Palolo? Tastes like watery caviar to me, but I can see it's probably an acquired taste!



I printed the photo and used it as a guide to add the basic shapes and proportions. I painted the background with Setacolor paints, attached it to Timtex and backing, and free-motion stitched the details of the land, the people and the water. The whole process took about a month. (You've heard about watching paint dry?)

4 comments:

Dianne said...

WELL Nola you had me googling..
The piece is very beautiful, with the story is makes it so romantic and so real. I like the colors and look of it...

Tonniece said...

Gosh, that sounds really horrid to me (eating the coral worms)I mean, but as you say it must be an acquired taste.

Love the painting though, It's great.

Nola said...

Palolo is really a delicacy in the islands, maybe because you only get it once a year! People talk about "when the palolo rises" quite a long time ahead, so it's a really big day in island life. I guess caviar is an acquired taste too, and much of its charm comes from its rarity.

Glad I got you googling, Dianne! That beach is where an old film was shot - I think it was called Return to Paradise Beach and it had someone like Gary Cooper in the lead role. (My memory is not what it once was!)

Spike said...

I love the composition of this piece--the bright yellow/white hot focal point off center with the cool dark green/blue greys of land and cloud swirling and circling around it.

I have a dear friend who shares your name--when I first read your comment on my blog, I thought you were "that" Nola! I'll have to tell he she's not unique . . .
< grin>

Spike